1. POSITION(S) VACANT: National Technical Consultant –Youth Development, United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), New Delhi
2. ORGANIZATION BACKGROUND:
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), formerly the United Nations Fund for Population Activities, is a UN organization working for reproductive rights for all and supports access to a wide range of sexual and reproductive health services, including voluntary family planning, maternal health care and comprehensive sexuality education.
Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MoYAS) has primary mandate to work with young people between the ages of 15 and 24 years on enhancing their access to learning, skilling, active citizenship and contribution to nation building. Since its inception in 1982, the MoYAS has been committed to ensuring the holistic development of young people. It has helmed most youth centered programming and youth led volunteering in the country.
Schemes such as the Rashtriya Yuva Sashaktikaran Karyakram (2016) and the National Service Scheme as well as the range of national assets enabled by these schemes including the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan, National Youth Corps, National Programme for Youth and Adolescent Development, Youth Hostels, etc. advance the development of young people’s personality, leadership and life skills, as well as civic engagement. These networks have also enabled the Ministry to mobilise an 8.4 million strong network of diverse young people, to work on myriad nation building agendas and trigger local level social actions to solve problems. The overlaps and intersections in terms of vision, mandate and result areas between MoYAS and United Nations lends opportunity for this to be a very synergistic and catalytic partnership to scale up young people’s access to learning, skilling, career advancement and leadership opportunities that are relevant, contextualised and of interest and alignment to their evolving aspirations. Thus, United Nations and the Ministry will work towards:
(a) Leveraging its 8.6 mn young people strong network to mobilise and address the needs and gaps experienced by all young people in this country;
(b) To expand the involvement of young people in NYKS and NSS to harness demographic dividend available in the country;
(c) Leveraging youth clubs and volunteers’ network and other decentralised infrastructure to serve as leadership hubs that offers 21st century and life skills to young people and provide them with pathways and opportunities to realise socio-economic empowerment
(d) Strengthen systems for flagships schemes and programs to link its ever-expanding network of young people to essential information, resources and services that are sources from across all other ministries and stakeholders with a commitment to serve youth.
3. JOB DESCRIPTION/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of the Joint Secretary, MoYAS, GoI, the National Technical Consultant –Youth Development (NTC-YD) will work from the office of Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sport, New Delhi and shall be responsible for coordination with key
stakeholders and UN agencies, re-strategizing national flagships programs and schemes operationalisation of initiatives that are focused on strengthening young people’s linkages/ pathways to learning, skilling, employment and civic participation.
The consultant shall also be ensuring the shared mandates and projects across UNICEF, UNFPA and other agencies and Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, are effectively addressed by designing, contextualising and implementing the same across national, state and district levels, in close coordination with and consultation of stakeholders from across all agencies.
Key Job Responsibilities
(1) Provide technical support to the ministry in preparing annual plans for various programs and schemes such as NYKS, NSS etc. by ensuring inclusion of every group to follow leave no one behinds for adolescent and youth empowerment initiatives;
(2) Provide technical assistance in developing operations and implementation guidelines for programs, strategies and newer schemes for adolescent and youth empowerment;
(3) Provide support in preparing training calendar for training of functionaries at various levels involved in implemented of adolescent and youth program and project implementation;
(4) Provide support in joint planning with UN agencies to seek required support for strengthening of various programs and schemes implemented by the ministry;
(5) Provide support in development of need-based resource and communication material for new strategies and programmes adolescent and youth development and participation;
(6) Provide technical inputs for development of training module for various stakeholders involved in implementation of adolescent and youth development programs;
(7) Develop innovative approaches and concepts for promoting adolescents and youth participation in development processes.
(B) COORDINATION AND IMPLEMENTATION
(1) Provide support to MoYAS to organise workshops, webinars, meetings and other consultations especially those connecting young people to skilling, career advancement and civic leadership or volunteering opportunities to promote cross learnings, sharing of best practices and capture voices of adolescents and youth on programs and schemes implemented by the ministry;
(2) Coordination with states to ensure proper nomination for various training to be organized by the ministry;
(3) Provide support to MoYAS to supervise ongoing implementation and timely completion of planned activities, to assess as well as support orientation and alignment on mission and goals across all levels of core work force;
(4) Design and implement mentoring systems for building skills and efficiency of the youth volunteers engaged under different programs and schemes by the ministry;
(5) Assistance in documenting best practices adopted by various states in implementing adolescent and youth empowerment programs and share them with key stakeholders;
(6) Facilitate coordination between UN Agencies and Ministry in ensuring effective implementation of the programmes;
(7) Engage in relevant national and global meetings in relation to the 2030 Agenda.
(C) QUALITY ASSURANCE & MONITORING SUPPORT
(1) Establish regular programme review system at national and state level and participate in these meetings;
(2) Monitor implementation of adolescent and youth empowerment programs focusing on skilling, career advancement and civic leadership or volunteering opportunities;
(3) Coordinate and exercise quality control over scheduling, proceedings, facilitation/ moderation, attendance, participation, documentation etc. of meetings conducted, especially with external agencies and stakeholders;
(4) Field visits to states and districts to ensure implementation of various adolescent and youth empowerment programmes and strategies on connecting young people to skilling, career advancement and civic leadership or volunteering opportunities;
(5) Analyse the data submitted by the states on various programmes and provide timely feedback to states for necessary rectification or action.
(D) Y20 COORDINATION
(1) Coordinate and convene regular working group meetings;
(2) Record and maintain minutes of meeting, documentation and action points;
(3) Ensure alignment in terms of formats, quality and text with past Y20s objectives, past G20 commitments;
(4) Facilitate stakeholder engagement mechanism with namely, government, youth and CSOs from national and global community towards who can inform the knowledge papers are consistent with the needs and realities of young people across the G20 countries;
(5) Liaise closely with a remote team of UN Senior Policy Advisors/ Specialists to solicit timely feedback and comments on issue briefs/ concept notes, etc.;
(6) Gather the support of Senior Policy Advisors/ Specialists from across Government, UNCT India and other identified experts to develop background notes, issue notes and briefs, as and when required;
(7) Compile and consolidating Issue notes, thematic white papers, policy briefs and other deliverables as and when necessary;
(8) Any other tasks/ deliverables assigned by MoYAS/ Supervisor / Focals from UN agencies from across MoYAS and UN agencies.
(E) REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
(1) Monthly work progress report in format shared by UNFPA;
(2) Field visit report to be shared with supervisor and with HR agency hired by UNFPA for travel claim settlement;
(3) Documentation of best practices from the states;
(4) Any other reporting and documentation asked by the supervisor in relation to training programmes.
4. QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES:
Masters in Social Sciences or Masters in Rural Development or Masters in Public Health or Masters in Development Studies
(1) Minimum 7 to 10 years’ experience of working closely in field of Adolescent and Youth empowerment and development with minimum of three years’ experience of working with international agencies or with Government.
Skills and Competencies:
(1) Ability to plan and execute activities at National, State and District level;
(2) Must be willing to travel extensively in the States (at least 8-10 days per month);
(3) Capable of taking independent responsibility;
(4) High level of computer proficiency with specific familiarity with commonly used Windows and MS Office software and database software;
(5) Excellent oral and written communication & presentation skills in English and Hindi;
(6) Good analytical skills;
(7) Good documentation skills;
(8) Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team with strong facilitation skills & ability to analyze reports, plan and monitor projects;
(9) Good understanding of programs and schemes implemented by MoYAS;
(10) Good track record of credibility.
5. NATURE OF ENGAGEMENT:
The National Technical Consultant –Youth Development shall be hired on a consultancy contract through Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd. (SAMS), a respected HR Agency.
The consolidated remuneration for the position ranges between INR 24 to 30 lacs per annum and will commensurate with experience and salary history of the candidate.
7. LOCATION: Office of Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sport, New Delhi
8. DURATION: The successful candidate shall be issued successive consultancy contracts for a period of one year by UNFPA’s third-party payrolling partner(s). The engagement may be renewed/ extended, on recommendations of the MoYAS and UN Agencies.
The initial contract from the date of joining till December 31, 2022, shall be issued by SAMS. The subsequent contract for the balance period shall be issued by SAMS and/or UNFPA’s successor third-party payrolling partner.
9. REFERENCE: NTC-YD-UNFPA-DL
10. CONTACT INFORMATION:
Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd.
1/1B, Choudhary Hetram House, Bharat Nagar
New Friends Colony, New Delhi 110 025
Phone Nos.: 011- 4081 9900; 4165 3612
11. APPLICATION PROCESS:
Eligible candidates interested in the position are requested to apply using the link https://recruitment.samshrm.com/Jobs/UNFPA, by or before September 15, 2022.